Friday, August 30, 2013

❄ ❄ Lindsey Vonn's road back on snow ❄ ❄

It all began on the 5th February when Lindsey crashed bad in Super G at the World Championships. She had a torn ACL and MCL and a lateral tibial plateau fracture. She flew back home to Vail and had her surgery on the 10th February where luckily all went well!


  Lindsey with her mom, Laura and Reed after the surgery

She began to do some workout already two days after her surgery and she posted : "When you fall, get back up."

Lindsey and her sis Laura :) ©Ilana Taub

The plan at that point was that Lindsey can be back on snow in September and compete in ski races in Lake Louise or maybe also Beaver Creek! She wasn't able to do a lot at that time because she was on crutches and so it was a hard time for her!

Lindsey's knee some days after her surgery

After two weeks Lindsey had a check up with her doctor where she had an X-ray. She posted that all went well and she is making progress.


the X-ray of Lindsey's knee

On the 26th March was a huge day for Lindsey cause she was down to one crutch! In an interview with Alexandra Meissnitzer she said:"I was at the six week check up with my doctor and it looks good. Now I only have one crutch and I’m really glad about that. Hopefully tomorrow I’m without crutches. I’ve not much pain and the swelling is good. It was a bit difficult the last couple of weeks because it was very boring. I can’t do so much. I made therapy with Patrick from Red Bull. He came from Europe and was with me the last couple of weeks. But I needed a lot of help because I couldn’t do something with my hands because I always had crutches. That was really difficult for me.”



 

In the ORF Interview Lindsey talked about her therapy. She had two schedules on a day. Normally from 9 till 11am and a strength training for her upper body. She could do a bit rowing with the left leg but not so much endurance training. Then she had lunch and then another time therapy from 3 till 5pm and then diner. 


On the 7th April Lindsey posted that her rehab is going well & that she is able to do double leg squats already! 

 


On the 17th May Lindsey posted again about her workout and added that she is making progress :) 

 

 


On the 29th May Lindsey was in Vail to see her doctor and she posted that she had a great apt with Dr Sterett in Vail & her knee is looking good!!

 

 


She also posted Vine videos about her workout in Vail :) 



 

Around the 4th July Lindsey began her training camp in Austria she stayed for nearly 2 weeks till the 14th July. Lindsey also said in an interview with "Sport & Talk aus dem Hangar-7": " Now I’m really happy cause I can do almost everything. The first two months weren’t nice for me. I couldn’t do much. I also watched some races on TV in February and it hurted. But now I’m back and on my way to be 100 percent. I’m really happy about that.”



 



On the 4th August Lindsey posted another pic of her workout and on the 5th August she had a strength test which went well! She also posted that it's only 28 days till she is back on snow! 


strength test


On the 20th August Lindsey posted a pic of her doing some workout saying "Getting ready for my starts this year! BAM!" and it was only 12 days to go till she is back on snow :)  On the next day she showed us some video of her balance training caught by her GoPro :) 

 


 

On the 28th August John Meyer posted that Lindsey is cleared for on-snow training & leaves Friday for Portillo, Chile. Lindsey also said in the Denver Post that the strength in her right knee has been measured at 98 percent of the strength in her left knee.

 

She also said that she hasn't had to ice her knee in a month and a half and she believes she can be ready to compete in the World Cup races at Beaver Creek in December. "I'm hoping that's the start of my season," Vonn said.

 

 Her Dr. Bill Sterett will also be with her during her training in Portillo, Chile. "I asked him to come down," Vonn said. "So he's coming down, and will monitor me. I'm hoping to start training in a couple of days, but my expectations are sometimes a little out of whack."  

 

"She's doing great, we are happy with the progress," says Vonn trainer Martin Hager. "It looks good for starting ski training." Hager said the goal is to have her get down the hill with no swelling in the knee! "That will be the focus for the first few days," he said. "Just skiing without any pain. No reaction of the knee. That will be the most important factor."  

 

Sources: 

Denver Post  

The Associated Press 

 

She was training at the Ski & Snowboard Club Vail!

 

©Kelley McMillan

©John Meyer

©Patrick Graham

©Patrick Graham


 

Let's hope that her first days on snow are going well and that her recovery continues to go well! I wish Lindsey all the best for her first day back on snow and I'll keep my fingers crossed that all goes well with her knee. I can't wait to see her ski racing again also if it means that i'm getting nervous & worried again till she is safe in the finish! :) 

GOOD LUCK LINDSEY FROM ALL FANS!!!!!

xoxo Marion

 

 





6 comments:

  1. Dear Marion,
    Wow, you do a truly great job, thank you! I am crossing my fingers that Lindsey has a season without injury and that she gets at least 4 World Cup wins, much more important to me than the Olympics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Marion,
    Great news ! I'll be looking forward to your next posts, as you are the best source of information on Lindsey ! I am a huge fan (from France) and have been following her career since the 2007/2008 season. I hope her next season will be successful though, just like you, I'll watch every race with anxiety until she has crossed the finish line !
    By the way, do you know if the screw in her knee has been removed ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hy Marie,
      Thanks for your nice words :) I'm also following her career since 2007/2008 Season.
      I think the screw is still in her knee cause i didn't read about a surgery where she got it removed. I think it holds her ACL together.

      xo Marion

      Delete
  3. Thanks for your answer Marion.
    I recently found a June 2010 video which is not in your playlist. In case you've never seen it, here is the link :
    http://www.krone.at/Videos/US-Ski-Ass_Lindsey_Vonn_auf_Strasse_der_Sieger_verewigt-Ein_Stern_mehr-Video-207267
    Unfortunately for me I don't speak German, therefore I don't understand what she says !

    ReplyDelete